2 Weeks before Moving Day
- Notify schools and arrange for the transfer of school records and transcripts.
- Contact the IRS or your accountant regarding forms and information about tax-deductible moving expenses.
- Cancel deliveries (newspaper, diapers, laundry, etc.).
- Cancel or transfer membership in religious, civic, and athletic organizations.
- Finalize arrangements with the moving company. If your moving company is packing your belongings, arrange for packing to be done 1-2 days before the actual moving day.
- Arrange for child care on a moving day.
- Dispose of items you do not want to bring or that your moving company cannot transport (flammables).
- Hold a garage sale or sell online.
- Donate to charity (tax-deductible) or give away to friends and relatives.
- Bulky items pick up or drop off – check with your local garbage disposal company.
- Drop off recycled household chemicals, oil, batteries, etc. – check with your local garbage disposal company.
- If you are moving out of a high-rise building, contact the property manager and reserve the elevator for moving day. Secure parking for the moving truck.
- Arrange to remove “installed items” you bring, like a TV antenna or shelves.
- Change of address
- Fill out change of address forms with the US postal service, Social Security Administration, IRS, and DMV
- Friends and relatives
- Charge and credit card accounts
- Frequent flyer programs
- Brokers and mutual funds
- Insurance agents/companies
- Medical insurance
- Catalogs you want to keep receiving
- Memberships in professional and religious organizations or gym
4 Days before Moving Day
- Stop watering your plants to avoid spillage during the move.
- Confirm the date and time of your move with the moving company.
- Return any cable equipment.
- Cancel utilities (gas, electric, cable, phone, water, garbage; transfer services, if possible, or arrange new services).
1 Day before Moving Day
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Empty, defrost, and clean your refrigerator. Make sure it has at least 24 hours to air dry.
- Clean and air your stove.
- Have the moving company pack your belongings (or finish packing if you do your own).
- Plan your breakfast. Paper plates are fine. Eating something on the road is better.
- Pack your personal belongings except for your alarm clock.
- Go to bed early to prepare for an early start on a moving day.
- Pack a special box with other essentials you will need for the first few days (Make sure to mark this box “DO NOT MOVE”).
- Collect all keys to locking items. Put them in a safe place.
- Walk around with the crew chief.
- Keep your signed bill of lading in an easily accessible place.
Ensure the movers have the correct delivery address and phone and cellular numbers.
- Before the moving crew leaves your old location, take a final look through your old location to make certain nothing has been left behind. Check all closets and cabinets.
Things To Do After Moving In
- Open bank accounts.
- Open a safe deposit box account.
- Begin deliveries (newspaper, diapers, laundry).
- Register to vote.
- Change driver’s license.
- Change auto registration.
- Install new batteries in existing smoke detectors (and install any additional needed smoke detectors) and buy fire extinguisher.
- Hold a housewarming party for the folks who helped you find your home and your moving company helpers.